On this page you’ll find books and websites that I’ve found invaluable as references or sources of inspiration. Consider this your library and come back often, as I frequently add new titles!
You can navigate directly to a particular section by clicking these links:
- Books: Cancer and Survivorship
- Books: Nutrition and Lifestyle
- Books: Inspiration
- Websites: Cancer and Survivorship
- Websites: General Wellness
Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life
by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD
- An MD who passionately believes in lifestyle as medicine, following his recovery from two bouts of brain cancer. Beautifully illustrated guide to healthful nutrition.
Eating Well through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Recommendations During & After Treatment
by Holly Clegg
- Great recipe collection
Five to Thrive: Your Cutting-Edge Cancer Prevention Plan
by Lise Alschuler, ND, FABNO and Karolyn Gazella
- Easy-to-read guide to the biological processes that drive cancer, and fundamental lifestyle changes that alter those processes in your favor.
Herbal Medicine, Healing and Cancer
by Donald Yance, AHG, CN
- A seminal guide to nutrition and herbal medicine for cancer, infused with the author’s compassion and spirituality
Life Over Cancer
by Keith Block, MD
- Cutting-edge, evidence-based nutrition and lifestyle guidance from a leader in integrative cancer care
One Bite at a Time and The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen
by Rebecca Katz
- Nourishing and beautifully photographed recipes for people in cancer treatment…or anytime!
When Cancer Hits Home
by Patrick Maguire, MD
- Straightforward, easy-to-read guide to cancer warning signs and the conventional treatment options for the 20 most common cancers.
The Circadian Prescription
by Sidney MacDonald Baker, MD
- A thorough guide to the importance of healthy circadian rhythms as a foundation for health.
Good Food, Great Medicine
by Miles Hassel, MD and Mea Hassel
- An evidence-based guide to implementing the Mediterranean diet.
“Naturopathic Physicians: Up and Coming Partners in Diabetes Care”
by Shani Fox, ND
- Access this article here: Diabetes Health, July 2009
The Self-Healing Cookbook
by Kristina Turner
- A nice introduction to the macrobiotic diet.
“Sleep: Relax, Restore, Renew!”
by Shani Fox, ND
- Access this article here: Walkabout Magazine, Nov/Dec 2009 PDF
The Ultra-Metabolism Cookbook
by Mark Hyman, MD
- Excellent guide to anti-inflammatory nutrition, with tasty recipes.
It’s Always Something
by Gilda Radner
- Gilda’s own story, told with her characteristic humor.
Kitchen Table Wisdom and My Grandfather’s Blessings
by Rachel Remen, MD
- Wisdom in the form of poignant anecdotes from the MD who pioneered body/mind education for medical students.
The Last Lecture
by Randy Pausch
- A brave take on what’s important in life from a young man with pancreatic cancer.
Love, Medicine and Miracles
by Bernie Siegel, MD
- A classic from an MD unafraid to champion love and compassion as medicine. Highlights the importance of following one’s personal vision to recovery from serious illness.
Radical Forgiveness: A Revolutionary Five-Stage Process to Heal Relationships, Let Go of Anger and Blame, Find Peace in Any Situation
by Colin Tipping
- Practical guidance to achieve peace in relationships.
Seat of the Soul
by Gary Zukav
- An inspiring reflection on who we really are, and how we can make the most of our time on this earth
by Doug Mendenhall
- Step-by-step method to identify and start living from the strongest, happiest parts of yourself.
Tuesdays with Morrie
by Mitch Albom
- An inspiring example of a life well-lived.
The Way of Transition
by William Bridges
- A surprising take on where to find life’s most important lessons.
- Up-to-date research on Western and alternative cancer treatments, written for the layperson.
- Thriving after cancer. Coedited by a respected naturopathic doctor who is herself a survivor.
- An online community with vast resources for cancer survivors.
- An online community for healing mind, body, spirit, planet.
- Site of the nonprofit Environmental Working Group, with information about the safety of foods and consumer goods (sunscreens, cleaning solutions, etc.)
- Health information A to Z, geared to patients.
- Promoting healthy ways of eating based on the traditional wisdom of many cultures.
- A very interactive site for learning to be gentle and compassionate to yourself.
- Free audio meditations and prayers – very inspiring.
- Nurturing the connection between sustainable farmers and consumers internationally.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about vitamin D.
- Lovely blog about developing calm and mindfulness.